Find out what are the most effective essential oils for happiness!
The popularity of essential oils is clearly on the rise. Yoga classes have begun to use Rose oil and Lavender for their calming and relaxing effect. Frankincense and Sandalwood are used for meditation. Even athletes use essential oils in therapy as well as in their regular daily regimen.
There are essential oils that provide you with energy, stimulating your body and reducing fatigue. Jasmine, Rosemary, and Grapefruit are a few examples. These oils are best used when you feel you are in a slump or lacking in energy.
There are also essential oils that calm and relax both your mind and body, relieving anxiety and stress. Clary Sage, Orange, and Sandalwood are a few examples. These oils are best used when you are feeling anxious, stressed, angry, or whenever you are overcome with strong negative emotions.
Finally, there are essential oils that promote happiness. These oils influence the brain’s limbic system – the part of the brain that controls emotions, behavior, motivation, long-term memory, and smell. These essential oils are a great tool in countering depression, anxiety, and self-doubt.
Of the many essential oils, here are the six of the most effective essential oils you should use for happiness:
- Lavender Oil
- Bergamot Oil
- Jasmine Oil
- Basil Oil
- Lemon Oil
- Rose Oil
There are other essential oils for happiness, but in this article we are concentrating on the most effective essential oils for happiness and mood boosting.
Most Effective Essential Oils for Happiness
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender has been used throughout the ages as perfume for more than two thousand years. Early Romans have been infusing their baths with lavender as a means of relaxation.
Although it is popularly used for relaxation, lavender essential oil also has a clear uplifting effect that boosts your happiness. It reduces anxiety, making you calmer and more relaxed. It also helps you sleep better, and a good rest is one of the keys to having a good day.
A bit of a bonus, lavender essential oil actually boosts your immune system – giving you that bit of an edge to kick that cold, or prevent you from actually getting one.
How to use lavender essential oil for happiness.
- Add five to six drops of lavender oil in your bath. Soaking in the water relieves stress as well as softens your skin.
- Add two to three drops of lavender oil into your diffuser as you sleep. The scent of lavender will calm your mind and body, leading to a more restful sleep.
- A quick whiff of lavender right out of the bottle can instantly produce a feeling of calm and relaxation.
Read also about the health benefits of lavender essential oil.
2. Bergamot Oil
Stress in the workplace is unavoidable, but bergamot oil has been proven to alleviate work-related stress. Bergamot reduces the amount of cortisol (a hormone related to stress) on the body, reducing the feeling of anxiety.
Using bergamot essential oil lowers your blood pressure and heart rate by a certain degree, putting you in a more relaxed state. Bergamot also helps reduce the feeling of mental and physical fatigue, making you, and those around you, more efficient and productive.
Hoe to use bergamot essential oil for happiness
- Add two to three drops of bergamot oil into your diffuser as you work. The bergamot will help keep you calm, clear, and productive.
- Rub a few drops of bergamot on your wrists if a diffuser is unavailable.
3. Jasmine Oil
The scent of jasmine is very popular among perfumes. Aside from its pleasing scent, European scientists have found that the scent of jasmine produces a calming effect with regards to anxiety, stress and aggression.
Jasmine promotes a feeling of well-being and happiness. It makes you feel more energetic and romantic.
NB! However, if you are pregnant, avoid using jasmine oil, as it may induce early labor.
How to use jasmine essential oil for happiness
- A quick whiff of jasmine right out of the bottle can instantly produce a feeling of well-being and freshness
- Add two to three drops of jasmine oil into your diffuser. The pleasing scent will add a sense of calming energy and romance into the room
- A dab of jasmine oil on your wrists can help alleviate anxiety
4. Basil Oil
If you are suffering from chronic fatigue, Basil Oil can provide a boost in your energy levels.
Aside from alleviating stress and calming the nervous system, basil oil also stimulates the adrenal glands. This helps reduce sluggishness, increasing your motivation and drive.
More energy means more productivity – which leads to more happiness. Basil oil helps relieve stress and anxiety, gives you more strength, and it’s also rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.
NB! However, if you are pregnant, the invigorating effect of basil oil might cause premature contractions.
How to use basil oil for happiness
- Add two to three drops of basil oil into your diffuser. The scent of basil will instantly uplift the mood and energize the room.
5. Lemon Oil
If you’re a bit down, lemon essential oil can help perk you back up. Lemon oil actually makes you happier. It boosts your dopamine and serotonin level, two hormones that directly affect your overall happiness.
The rise in dopamine makes you feel more mentally alert. It improves your concentration and demeanor. This makes it easier to perform your tasks, as well as interact with others.
Serotonin balances your mood and prevents depression. The rise in serotonin feels like a literal ray of sunshine – or that high you get after a good run.
How to use lemon essential oil for happiness
- Add two to three drops of lemon oil into your diffuser. Not only will the room smell good, it will make the people inside sharper and happier.
Read about all the health benefits of lemon essential oil.
6. Rose Oil
The scent of roses is well known to induce feelings of romance and adventure. If you feel a bit anxious and depressed, a whiff of roses can do wonders.
Rose oil is known to alleviate depression as well as quell rising anxiety. The scent of roses boosts your self-esteem, making you more confident and appealing. It stimulates the libido, and promotes a feeling of happiness – a great plus for people in relationships.
Using rose essential oil for happiness
- Rub rose oil on the back of the neck to relieve stress.
- Add three to five drops of rose oil into your diffuser to add a sense of romance and adventure.
- A quick whiff of rose oil right out of the bottle can instantly boost your confidence.
There you have it – six most effective essential oils for happiness. Use them and enjoy good mood and happiness!